Items featured at www.tesorotreasures.com

Thursday, April 8, 2010

Gratitude Friday - Music

Gosh, I realize that I haven't posted a Gratitude Friday post in such a long time. It's not that I'm not grateful for things...it's just that sometimes I just don't get the inspiration to write about anything in particular and I don't want to ramble about just anything. But today, as I was driving to work and I was listening to my iPod in the car, I realized that I am truly grateful for music. Music can move me to tears or bring a big smile to my face. I have a really good memory for music and so I remember times in my past when a particular song was playing. When I hear the song now, it will instantly bring me back to that place. For instance, when I hear "Harbor Lights" by Boz Scaggs, I am transported back to my Senior Prom so many years ago and being in heaven slow dancing with my then special guy. Or when I hear "A Bridge Over Troubled Water", I remember sitting with my cousin in Italy and feeling so special because I could sing along to an English-speaking song. All those memories come fleeting back to me whenever I hear those songs.

I like all sorts of music, except maybe classical and opera. I'm not sure why I never really gained an appreciation for these, but I just didn't. And for me, music is all about the emotion that it imparts. Classical music makes me nervous. The changes in tempo and rhythm leave me feeling on the edge and jittery. I enjoy pieces that are melodic, those that have meaningful words, and those that have a great beat. Yes, even rap and hip hop!!

I have an extensive collection of Italian music as well. I think Italian lyrics are always so romantic and beautiful. I can picture myself having someone sing those beautiful words to me!! At times, I can even daydream about it. Whenver I am on a plane, I have the iPod earphones in my ear and I will seldom be moving along to the beat in my seat! I call it "seat dancing"!!

Music is all about memories for me, as smell is for lots of people. It reminds me of places, people, events, and so many other things.

Here's a special Thank you to all the musicians for their contributions to my happiness!!

2 comments:

  1. Hi Barbara! I so AGREE! A nice post and it's nice to talk to you again! I too finally got into blogging! I know you will like my blog too! Come and visit me too! http://lindageez.wordpress.com
    Hope to hear from you :o)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Linda! It's great to hear from you! I hope all is well. I will definitely take a look at your blog. I, too, have started a new blog devoted solely to everything Italian. Come and check it out: http://tesorotreasures.wordpress.com/
    Let's keep in touch!!

    ReplyDelete